Finishing School Program (FSP) our first born ... Entering World of Work (WoW)

It was not a new thing. It has been mooted many years ago in 2007 when I was the Deputy Director at the Alumni and Career Services Division (ACSD). The proposal requested by the then Deputy Rector was turned down by majority at the Dean's Council FSP as burdening the students more than helping them be a better graduates with employability skills. That was ok then, I was just doing my job and not selling any beauty products that could possibly cause me bankrupt. But I feel bad as I knew the Dep rector really wanted it to happen at the University. But that was not the end. I actually went all out reaching out to final years students at different Kulliyyahs to prove them wrong. My team and my partner in crime, Dr Aldila (Dep Dir Industrial Relations) went round campus and even Kuantan campus visited and convinced Deans of Kulliyyah to let me conduct Career Day and meet their final years students. Career tests and career support groups were conducted.. Got it.  All the evidence from FGD for my personal consumption & satisfactions. Many have not taken career test before. They do need career counseling asssistance to prepare them for the World of Work. Beyond the classroom & outside academic programs.  

This year, I was called by the Deputy Rector, (Student Affair) not the same one in 2007. He insisted me to plan. I was quite lost actually. Not knowing my role as I was not the Dep Director at ACSD anymore. Besides, newly appointed as Assoc Dir, my tasks at CTL was huge and I was very much struggling getting things within my arm lenght. All the expectations and having to answer everything at the SBU meetings and to fulfil my boss' demand were really testing me. My career was at the peak of challenge.

But 'Persistence' was the word to describe our Prof Dep Rector. Meetings after meetings- getting updates from me. I like the 'mild' way he approached this matter.  I decided to get this done. At that time, really badly desperately need support from someone who really know me and what I do and willing to keep up with my unpredictable views and last minute thing. Yup..Dr Aldila came to my rescue.. She agreed to be my Program Manager less than a month before the event. What a gift! But we need more committed individuals.. who really can do the work and ready with their crisis management skills.
Calling all my loyal final year counseling students back to help. I know all along, these people could do it, know my antiques. It has to be a student-run program. OMG..I was amazed with their commitment.  Less than two weeks, secretariat were formed. Syarima as the program manager , Nadia & Fadillah another pearl of gifts..love you girls...we actually planned not 1 but 2 FSPs (One for all students & one only for counseling students)
Putting all together was always fun (minus the stress in between). I asked, I interviewed, I listened, I observed, I looked up and searched. I am in-charge of the content. With the mandate given as Career Consultant to FSP ACSD, I choose and select what I think will be the best content for FSP. Alhamdullillah, with no ammendments, my proposal accepted 'as is'. Thanks for the trust.

Now I wonder..how are my FSPians first born doing. How have the skills gotten from the 2-weekend programm helped them in securing a job. How much employability skills acquired? How have their personality as IIUM graduates and their image as Muslim affected and improved from the experience being in the FSP program? How well have we inculcated the values of love for learning and learning new things got into them? How grounded are they? At least, an individual with pleasant personality reflected in their daily personal and professional life.. My doa for my children of FSP..Life will treat you well....




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cekodok Nenas my mom's open secret recipe to share

The Classic Menu of Haji Rais & Hajah Hamidah for Eid (Syawal) since forever...

I am the VIP of the journey