flying with kids: in the air with my little Aula..When work and pleasure combined.


Travelling with my four-year old 

I had to be away 4 days for a conference. PERKAMA convention was conducted at INTAN Kota Kinabalu Sabah. I was the committee of the Association (Persatuan Kaunseling Malaysia) and was in-charge to coordinate the workshop while I myself was one of the presenter. It was a tough decision whether to leave Aula home or take her along with me.  I just cant imagine being away more than 2 days from her. I took the risks and decided, she must come along. I went ahead reserve the tickets for the two of us. A group of students convinced me they would be there to babysit whenever necessary.

My Tasks ~ My Duty
Yes, I was not only the committee. I co-presented a paper with my supervisee. I was assigned to conduct a workshop on Crisis Response Team for PERKAMA and on the second day, a session - Stress Releaser workshop early in the morning before the conference. All done with Aula on the background. 


My preparation
My preparation was mostly not on the workshop or paper presentation. It was my mental preparation that I rehearsed and imagine for many weeks. I pictured myself with her following me around. I know she would behave but normally when things get comfortable, she naturally would show her true colors. Plus, for a kid to be away - from home, more than a day, I believe, I can expect her to get cranky here and there. 

So, I have to find ways for her to be occupied with things to do.. So many different things to keep her attention and fully on tasks. Something fun for her.

Yes, I was not only the committee. I co-presented a paper with my supervisee. I was assigned to conduct a workshop on Crisis Response Team for PERKAMA and on the second day, a session - Stress Releaser workshop early in the morning before the conference. All done with Aula on the background. 


I arrived early at KLIA. Got my boarding pass through E-ticket. The PERKAMA team were there and we had breakfast. So many familiar faces on the same flight. It was quite a pleasant journey. Aula was very excited and really felt that she actually was on an airplane, although, she had been on a plane many times eversince 2 months old. The two of us travelled to Sabah, Trengganu and Johor or Kelantan.  We had family trip to bandung last December, 2011.

Here is the happy face to be on board!  Flying MAS is always the best! 


She is having her favourite Famous Amos cookie and playing with Woody and Buzz

M&M a must - a reward for good behavior

Arrived quite early but we had to wait for our ride almost 1 hour. We were told to get our dinner first. Aula had her nap while we were having dinner. Arrived our room almost 9pm. She was quite fresh after the shower and the long nap. We were on a standby for the meeting. I was a bit nervous at the meeting, as this is the first time, I am taking her in to a meeting room with PERKAMA executive committee. I was not sure the reactions of these people.

I took along her M&M fan, my Tab and her newly bought airplane.



Look at her. She behaved so well. I thank God that she kept everything to herself and focused on her own activity.

toys and something to munch.


At the conference dinner table.
Initially, she refused to put on the kebaya. After being forced, she refused to follow at all. Always know, I must bring her favourite shirt, just in case, she would get difficult. Yes, the Upin & Ipin T shirt helped me push her to get dressed and hurried to the dinner.


Woody to accompany her. something to focus on while the ceremony takes place. Opening remarks by the Sabah Dep Chief Minister




Looking like one of the professionals in the room, she was listening to the opening remarks.



It's a picture of me drawn on the table of our room. She found the chalk and scribble with two rubber band. my two big eyes - she said, mouth, nose, hands and feet. Unfortunately, I captured it up side down.

She was sitting at the back while I was presenting. With barney bag full of everything. crayon and A4 papers.. Tab on a standby, just in case, she got bored with crayon. 

grilled Kepah - by the road side.

We walked from the hotel to the market place. We spent hours at the Crystal & Pearl house. She waited patiently.  and demanded one crystal bracelet for her. Mom tried the black pearl on. The beauty is very pricey...


She knew that she would be rewarded swimming pool or bubble bath. So just before we left, she got it. She asked for the pink ball while shopping. Just realize what she had in mind. I found out she wanted it for her bubble bath to play with while enjoying the splish splash in the tub.




Kota Kinabalu at Dust from the window of our sea view room.

 A request to sing Jay Jay song, Rindu Bayangan.


Dine in with Nani and her daughter.
Prof Zuria my room mate who was very understanding with Aula in the room with me.


 a friend I have known since form 5. stayed at my parents even after I have left to continue my studies.





All eager again to be on the plane ..


Air Asia. this time.



Atiqah, convinced me that taking Aula should not be a problem. She and the gang took care of Aula when I was conducting workshop


She still had the energy after a long day. 4 days in Sabah ended well

Reading the manual..just in case. first thing she did after buckling up..

night flight, all lights were dimmed. She is busy with the game on the Tab. The Sabahan orang hutan by her side. She had her puppet decorated with the crayon. If someone wanted to puke, it's gonna be fun to puke with the smiley face on the bag. A puppet show while others sound asleep.


She acted out the scene at Pasar Philipine. selling all the souvenirs.. funny part is instead of us giving her money to buy, she was the one gaving us money and items she sold.



Putting on her purple crystal bracelet. post travelling nap.. looking exhausted..

next day at home, illustrating the airport terminals with the planes all over.. and she is the pilot in charge (using her goggle)

Checklist what to bring in flight when with travelling smaller kids
small favourite toys, play dough, crayon, paper, finger puppet,
Tab/Ipad, small notepad, story books/picture books.
small boxes of cereals, small packet drinks (milk or milo - some airline allow this), crackers or cookies, (all small amount, varieties important, so that we have enough choice to get their attention),  M&M & stickers for rewards

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cekodok Nenas my mom's open secret recipe to share

The Classic Menu of Haji Rais & Hajah Hamidah for Eid (Syawal) since forever...

I am the VIP of the journey